PE and Sports Premium Grant
In this section
- EYFS Reception- New starters Sept 2020
- Transition- Moving on information
- School Policies
- Pupil Premium
- PE and Sports Premium Grant
- Covid Catch-up Strategy
- School Performance
- SEN Provision
- School Improvement Planning 2020-2021
- Malvern Vale School
- Useful links
- Operation Encompass
- Remote and blended learning provision at Somers Park
PE and Sports Premium Grant
At Somers Park, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport’s Funding enables us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
What is the PE and Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Each school will receive £16,000 plus an extra £10 per pupil each year for the next two years - here at Somers Park Primary School that will mean around £19,500 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
The government have committed to funding the primary school Sports Premium for the next academic year 2020-2021 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pe-and-sport-premium-for-schools-confirmed
Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
Please click on the links below to see a breakdown of how our school intends to utilise the PE and Sports Premium Grant.